Restorative dentistry is an amazing field in oral health that aims to help you restore your smile’s beauty. From dental crowns to permanent dentures, there are many types of dental implants and techniques available to help find the best possible outcome for your oral health. If you are looking for quality restorative dentistry in Concord or the surrounding areas, our experienced team is here and ready to lend a hand! For years, Concord Smile has worked diligently to be your trusted family dentists in California. We create a personalized care plan to optimize your oral health in an efficient and cost-effective manner. From regular dental exams to emergency services, we’re here to be your go-to local dentist.
We often receive questions and concerns with our dental implant services. Today, we’ll explain the different types of implants available and how each may be an ideal solution for your health. Contact our family dentists today to schedule your appointment!
Types of Implants
To begin, dental implants can often be divided into one of two types. The key to a successful implantation relies on your body’s ability to assimilate the new product and create a stable platform for future dental work. The two types of implants available include:
- Endosteal. Deriving from the phrase for connective tissues, this implant procedure places your dental implant directly into the jaw bone. The first procedure places a manmade tooth root in your jaw, normally consisting of a titanium alloy. This process includes osseointegration, where the implant begins to fuse with the jawbone.
- Subperiosteal. Similar to the previous dental implant, this process relies on a metal framework to keep your dentures in place instead of relying on the jaw. In some cases, this option is preferable because patients will not have enough natural jawbone left for a proper implantation. In other cases, patients may be unwilling to undergo augmentation procedures to rebuild the bone.
One major challenge for those facing major oral health issues (particularly tooth loss) is having a healthy amount of bone in the jaw to support an implant.
Jaw Restoration Techniques
Today’s dental services have evolved to create a number of viable alternatives for those with jawbone issues. Our local dentists can work with you to find the best solution, which may include:
- Bone augmentation. You can utilize bone additives and other restorative techniques to regenerate your jawbone. This approach aims to restore your bone loss, making it the best choice for general restoration.
- Ridge expansions. Some patients may have a jaw that simply is not wide enough for dental implant procedures. We can expand the ridge of your jawbone with bone grafts, creating more space along the top for implants.
- Sinus augmentation. Also known as sinus lifts, this medical process is ideal for those who are missing their upper back teeth. Our experts can add bone below your sinuses to replace bone loss.
There are many approaches available for restoring your smile to its original glory. Next time, we’ll continue this subject by highlighting alternative implant techniques for those with compromised jaw health. If you’re in need of restorative dentistry in Concord, our team of family dentists is here and ready to help. Contact us today to schedule your first appointment!